Relicnews: the definitive source for all things Relic

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade - Title and Second Race Revealed

Posted in Dawn of War by on April 19th, 2006

THQ Producer Sean Dunn today confirmed rumors about the second expansion for Dawn of War, titled “Dark Crusade”. The new expansion will bring the Tau and the Necrons to Dawn of War and is scheduled to be released this fall.

bq. The cat is out of the bag a couple weeks early, but yes, this information is correct. Dawn of War: Dark Crusade does in fact include the Tau and the Necrons. There will be massive amounts of video and screenshots coming out of E3, and I even will try and make our entire E3 presention available in HD online somewhere. I can truly say that I have not been more excited about the new races. I have never been a huge Necron fan, but not surprisingly the designers and artists have done an incredible job on both races, and the Necrons are a sight to behold!

You can discuss this in “this thread”:http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=91457.

No comments on this post. Add your own. Comments feed?

Posted by In Hoc Signo at April 19th, 2006 at 7:43 pm

Wow… Astonishing! I’m really looking forward to start this Dark Crusade. I suppose my Ultramarines will purge Tau and Necrons with a great effort of democarcy. Necrons as sencond race: my bet has been won. ^_^

Posted by Kung foo at April 21st, 2006 at 12:29 am

Wish they could pump this expansion out this summer, fall is now officially a LOOONNNGGG way off! Hey if you guys from relic and thq read these can you update the DOW official website with this news and possably a counter on the days your hardcore fans have left to wait? Well…all in all I’m pumped on the whole idea, see you guys on the battlefield!

Posted by Rurouni at April 22nd, 2006 at 9:42 am

Wow, sounds great! I can’t wait to see this game, hope I won’t have to wait too long for it to be out though. If you guys read this make a lot more great maps! Be nice if ya included stuff to make your own maps with it, just a thought. ^^;

Posted by cenpjas at April 23rd, 2006 at 3:42 pm

“the Necrons are a sight to behold!” – Thank god, they needed some work.

Maybe this will prompt some new models or codex update from GW?… maybe? (I am not really a necron fan my self by the way, but they are currently the most boaring army in 40k).

-cen

Posted by travis at April 23rd, 2006 at 10:12 pm

i would like to see nids, i have some quistions about the table top version if ne one can answer them

Posted by Mc_siren at April 24th, 2006 at 5:15 am

Yay i really know how to call ‘em I guessed Tau and necrons even b4 they annouced that it was going to be Tau as a new race.

This game is gonna be the Bomb…
And u guys shoundn’t complain in america about the relese date i’m from Austalia so the relese date will be even later DAM!

Posted by FumY at April 24th, 2006 at 1:37 pm

wowwwwwww

:D

Posted by jack hatcher at April 24th, 2006 at 2:09 pm

omg this sounds absoltuely awsome i am a collector of both necrons and tau so u can guess how stoked i am about this release but plz people dont complain about the release date good things come to those who wait.Man this is gna rock!!!!!Although i have to wait ages since im in the uk

Posted by Tian Jiang at April 24th, 2006 at 11:03 pm

Awesome stuff! I collect Tau so this is gonna be huge for me. Just wondering whether it is a b**** to balance seven races?

And what about the Tau mod people? they’ll be infringing on copyright when this hits market…bet they get a cease-and-desist for all their hard work. sucks.

Posted by Kung foo at April 25th, 2006 at 1:00 pm

No matter what happens just bring on the crusade, I’m itchin’ to spread the light of the emperor to the xenos scum. I’m cool with waiting, but I’m vocal about being anxious, after all it’s the future…..and there is only WAR!

Posted by crazzy_fool1 at April 25th, 2006 at 7:12 pm

WOW. this will kick as. i wonder if you will be alowd to invent new units for necrons as they dont have any tanks exept the monolith(which kills everything in it path with ease!!).

Posted by Moiax at April 26th, 2006 at 2:44 am

FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!! Finally the tau, I am so excited to be able to play them.

Posted by travis at April 26th, 2006 at 8:08 pm

i think they will use destoyers for tanks, and mega destoyers, i dont know wah telse thouhg, i as wondering in neon ehas found a good mod for W.A, besides tau, if so, plz let me know, i was also wondering , i want to start tabletop version, and i was wondering if chaos marines are rigged, i heard they are but i am no tshure??? plz let me know about that, and about the mods….thnx

Posted by crazzy_fool1 at April 26th, 2006 at 8:29 pm

Travis: in my experience of the tabletop game i have found necrons to be the strongest army but chaos can look cool if you put thought into converting a pesific legion e.g.thousand sons. hope that helped

Posted by Aun, va at April 27th, 2006 at 5:09 pm

yep necrons are the strongest

Posted by PariahDevalis at April 28th, 2006 at 3:48 pm

Technically, the Necrons possess the Monolith and Obelisk as their non-superheavy assets. Beyond that, they have the Aeonic Orb and Abbatoir, both of which have a snowball’s chance in hell of ever making into any game considering just how huge they are. But I digress….

They would probably make the Tomb Spyder, Destroyer, and Heavy Destroyer as vehicle types, although that isn’t quite right.

But, so long as it has scarabs and immortals, I will be MORE than satisfied. :P

Posted by DeadlyFred at April 29th, 2006 at 12:10 am

Why has Relic forsaken me? Tau is a great choice but while I have nothing against the Necrons, they’re not exactly a diverse bunch.

Posted by travis at April 29th, 2006 at 8:20 pm

some of my friends who play tabletop say that chaos are rigged, is that true????

Posted by Lew Lew The Clown at April 29th, 2006 at 8:26 pm

the tau sound great but i think the necrons where a bad choise y not the nids they would rock and rip apart everythin also does anyone know if this has any new units :)

Posted by Frank''The Colonel''Glasius at May 1st, 2006 at 2:47 pm

this will be one cool add-on… its only too bad that ther will be no tyranids or daemonhunters… by the way im an all out imperial guard-er so i guess i should say good bye to the guard if the necrons and tau arrive…. they’ll just slaughter the guards! (as usual)

Posted by Aaron johnson at May 2nd, 2006 at 6:00 pm

wow! If the tau in the new expansion are going to be anything like the tau in the newest mod, you better watch out.

Posted by Smurfius at May 2nd, 2006 at 10:02 pm

fall is to far off i hate and praise the fact that they announced it, i cant wait to get my hands on the control of the tau and kroot the greater good is more important than a rotting old man!

Posted by Phantom at May 3rd, 2006 at 3:46 am

The obv reason Necrons were included is because they had already been partially programed before the release, why else did they put in Imperial Gaurd?

Posted by mcnab_glaxy at May 3rd, 2006 at 6:50 am

I said they should bring out a game with Necrons and Tyranids so i got Tau and Necrons but anyway Tau, ace. Necrons, even better!. Damn you guys sure know how to please a DOW fanatic! But still no Tyranids. oh well…

Posted by Maestro_Lodahl at May 5th, 2006 at 8:27 am

Have u guys seen the trailer for the game yet? if not then check it out! I allmost got a heartattack of joy when i saw The Nightbringer..”One who does not fear the C`Tan is fool beyond fools!”

Posted by Bob at May 5th, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Do you mind posting a link?

Posted by jack at May 6th, 2006 at 10:45 am

Yea the guard will just get slughtered bascialy they suck at every thing the only half decent thing they have is the baneblade and also i think its a pity how chaos marines get hardly any vehicles or troops mabey they should include the chaos dreadnought or chaos bikes, personaly i think the bikes would be an awsome edition to the game

Posted by jack at May 6th, 2006 at 10:47 am

AND FOR GODS SAKE RELIC! produce some half decent maps GOD thease maps suck make some more urban levels

Posted by Nephron at May 8th, 2006 at 8:34 am

Somewhere they mentioned extended multiplayer abilities, does this mean that there will be more game modes avaliable online?

Also, bikes would be a worthwhile addition to the game, anyone who read the DOW novel (god knows why I did) would know that in the book bikes feature heavily (basically every battle was fought using almost only bikes, very few tanks), I was surprisd that there were no bikes in the game when I eventualy got it…

Posted by Nephron at May 8th, 2006 at 8:39 am

They also mentioned that there would be hero customisation options, the campaing would be a “Rome Total War” campaing type map with regions you have an option to conquer, and the necron base will be a monoloith you can upgrade with weapons and eventually tell to get up and float into the enemy’s base all guns blazing.

Posted by GoannaGuy at May 9th, 2006 at 7:54 am

I’ve seen alot of people saying “What about the ‘nids?”and i agree. Though, even in my infinate imagination, have not yet been able to think of a builder for them… Maybe a big grub like the Brain Bug from starship troopers. YES! YES! YES! FOR THE GREATER GOOD! the Tau will be AWSOME! BTW what will be the Tau’s “Relic Unit”? Plz plz plzzzzzzzzz tell me if you can. =P

Posted by Spacewolf5462 at May 12th, 2006 at 3:08 am

Man, This rules i just watched the trailer. I cant wait for this game to come out. Ive never been able to play table top version but I’ve read 20+ WH 40k books. I can’t wait for Dark Crusade so i can kick some xeno butt

Posted by TuRtLe HeAd at May 12th, 2006 at 5:46 am

Not being funny, but WHY. Everyone wants tyranids, not these new races. As far has Warhammer 40,000 goes Tau and Necrons are New races. Tyranids however are One of the oldest.

Dissappointed to say the least. However I will be buying it regardless

Posted by {DEATH}Abyss at May 12th, 2006 at 1:07 pm

just heard the news…but i am dissapointed that nids werent included,wat a shame, who doesnt want to see a full carnifex army ripping through the impy guard!!!!

Posted by Andy at May 12th, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Just watched the trailer and I`m so impressed with how good it looked, that i felt good enough to win a 1 v 2 game on dawn of war online.
As a Tau 40k player, i can`t wait till it comes out, I`M SO EXCITED. And the nightbringer looks cool!!!

Andy

Posted by the almighty kfish at May 21st, 2006 at 5:20 am

the necrons r an ok choise but the amount of fire power now in this game will make it rlly hard on teams like orks and imperial guard,tht is y they rlly shud of chosen nids,tau and necrons r basically a giant gun each

Posted by L.A Tomm at May 31st, 2006 at 5:10 pm

you know time ago that i said they were daemon hunters instead of necrons i was right because they were the original idea but they had 2 fire me andreplace them with necrons so i need 2 find a job i hate this sight

Posted by Moe at June 1st, 2006 at 5:07 am

I really have a hard time believing that.

Posted by GoannaGuy at June 3rd, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Yeah, yeah so do I.

Posted by mmm at June 8th, 2006 at 5:49 pm

None of us should ever complain about the relase date, its not like we are making the game or anything.

Posted by ordus mechanus at June 14th, 2006 at 11:03 am

HARD TIME …… lol i dont even believe L.A tomm for 1% i really dont and i played tablke top already about 13 years :D and i really love that the tau and the necrons are in the game soon but i still miss the nids :D

**message from under emperror arthas ordos mechanus**
date of transmission 10:32 in 14 of june anno 912304

Posted by Hogman2000 at July 3rd, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Go necrons, I am overjoyed at their arival, i have played tt for 5 years and have whooped my friends asses many times over with my necron scourge, i blast away tyranids with ease as they are very close combat orientated so the have little chance of getting near me, imp guard are just too weak to stand any chanece and as for the space marines my heavy destroyers take their tanks, pariah + lord take the front 30 percent of army stay back when no tanks are left flayed ones rip the shitty marines apart.

Posted by ratbob at July 13th, 2006 at 2:51 am

tyranids rock! it a shame there not included, but i suppose they wouldnt suit the game engine…

Posted by Radish at July 14th, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Tau and Necrons are kool, ut bth are too shooty. The game will need more close combat features. Tyranids are great, but lets face it, they will be very difficult to integrate them balanced (they are the most unique race in 40k). I’m really looking forward to this, bugs me it will take so long though. Happy gaming.

Let them all die and worship me – a vegetable.

Posted by Stuart Hancock at July 16th, 2006 at 9:17 pm

WOW!I’m siked about the new game, Dark Crusade.I may be new to the tabletopf, but i a loyal die-hard fan of the game.After reading wot everybody else has said it seems i need a new race cause but the looks of it imp guard are nothing compared to the new races nec and tau. I think adding these new races will change how people play, especally as the necs monolith owns everythink in its path. I’m also really looking forward to the tau commader, he ROCKS! Happy Gaming.
P.S. Plz people stop complaining about the release date(All good things take time)

Posted by willMC at July 17th, 2006 at 11:52 am

i think they should have put dark eldar and nids in, cause nids are kool and dark eldar just rape and torture :P but necrons are cool, there just like shoot me, ill just keep moving.

Posted by Roberto at July 19th, 2006 at 2:29 am

Interesting point of view for me, as i play both necrons and Tyranids. Now, i understand the agressiona nd dissapointment of many people over not having tyranids, but you must think; for the past 15 or 20 years, tyranids have always been used as a nomadic race. sure, tehy colonize a planet before eating it, but on any scale, inculding tyranids in the game would not only require an entirely new and different economy system for them, but a hell of a lot of re balancing for the other 6 races, which would have to adapt thier own economy styles to be able to conceivable counter a pseudo or completely nomadic race.

Posted by Josh at July 22nd, 2006 at 4:10 pm

I cant wait!!! I reckon there will be three new races in the X-pack after dark crusade because there were 1 in winter asault and there will be 2 dark crusade, hopefully Dark Eldar, Daimon Hunters and Tyranids

Posted by Stormtrooper at July 25th, 2006 at 3:30 pm

I think the Tau and Necron are awesome picks for the next Expansion. I just wonder how/if THQ/Relic finishes what they have started and do all the races. Imperial Guard is my 40k army so winter assualt fixed me up good. But what about the Dark Eldar and Witch Hunters for another expansion… story line kinda writes itself in my thoughts.
One of the let downs I saw in the Dark Crusade is that they did not add another unit to all the exsisting races… I was really hoping they were going to do that at least. But the risk format Campaign is going to freaking rock hard!
Peace all.

Posted by matt at July 26th, 2006 at 5:12 am

the tyranids could be made so the more strategic points they capture the higher squad cap they hav so the player would want to capture mor points for 2 reasons, but they could have it so the points couldnt b built upon so they also hav a weaknes

Posted by DukeRevolution at July 27th, 2006 at 5:43 am

I’ve read that the Necrons will have a new system of their own – they will not use requisition, only power. However, when they capture SPs and CLs, they will be able to build units faster. They will only have the Monolith and some method of power production – no factories or anything else.

Here’s my source: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/711/711884p1.html

Here’s a bunch of videos about the expansion on IGN. You need to age verify, but that’s it:

Oh, and about the lack of Tyranids… it’s disappointing, yes, but there’s already a swarming army (Orks), and the Nids are even worse about it – it would utterly liquify the engine to have that many units on screen. Picture the lag for a 4-player all-Nid royale. You wouldn’t even be able to see the TERRAIN, let alone your own units! Just stick with the Zerg and call them whatever you want. =P

Posted by Tom at July 29th, 2006 at 3:51 pm

I agree with DukeRevolution about how the tyranids will not fit in, considering the lag (We all dont have $5000 to spend on a pc).

I’m seriously looking forward to the necrons, and my brothers looking forward to the tau.
I think the game is gonna’ centre around them the most. Ie: Necrons-bad side Tau-good side.
The other races will definatly make some sort of show though.

Cant wait to see how they make the Pariahs =)
Let the harvest begin!

Posted by Quatoria at August 1st, 2006 at 10:28 am

You can’t winge about ‘nids and performance. TA (8 years ago it had 500 units per army), Dark reign (stupidly high limit), KKND2 (unlimited units, limited by map space). Even homeworld (By relic) could cope with vast numbers if you take in all the weapons fire and decals or numbers of units supported over network play. On slower machines and older networks. It is for the developers to sort out traffic and compressions. The technology is out there.

I can’t wait myself, but tyranids should have been in there, too many gun races now. You need to have some close-in fun, just to make it interesting.

But there is always the next expansion. And can anyone think of a race all the others would really have to / love to / want to war against, other than the tyranids? :)

Posted by Moe at August 2nd, 2006 at 5:17 am

It’s not really about numbers as far as I’m aware. It’s more about the organic nature of that race and the engine being unable to “do them justice”. That’s not the same thing as “can’t display a lot of units”.

Also, if you’ll look at Dark Reign and compare the polygon count on an individual soldier there with one in DoW you will notice a rather sizeable increase…

Posted by Quatoria at August 2nd, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Good point, well made.

But you need to account for the leap in graphics utilisation and performance. then it was 256MB, now 2GB is the norm for RAM and AGP cards are 4 times the size and speed. So there is the scope and the performance ready for the units movements as well as the unit count.

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 2nd, 2006 at 7:38 pm

Now that you mention it, Quatoria and Moe, there probably is a good chance of modern machines being able to handle it. The only problem is that it would conflict with the rest of the requisition/power paradigm the other races have set up. Still, with the Necrons using power only with SP’s making for faster construction, I’d say the paradigm is already slightly shifted. Maybe Relic is just gonna play “wait-and-see” to determine if the Necrons do okay with a new resource system. If they do, more races are potential.

What say we come up with some kind of resource allocation system for the Tyranids? :D

Missing races that I can remember are: Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Eldar Harlequin, Adaptus Mechanicus, Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters, Sisters of Battle, and the Inquisition. I’m pretty sure that’s all of them.

Want: Tyranids, Inquisition (combined forces of any low-level Imperium technology, including Grey Knights), Adaptus Mechanicus (can we say Titans? :D).

I could take or leave the others I mentioned – many are the same as or way too similar to the existing forces to warrant the effort. The Inquisition would also envelop most of the Imperium’s forces, so including them would preclude the need for a separate force.

Posted by Tom at August 3rd, 2006 at 11:05 am

The Harlequins can just ho with the Eldar, Adaptus Mechanicus could go with imperial guard, Daemonhunters could go with the space marines, and just combine the Witch Hunters, Sisters of Battle, and the Inquisition into a new side. Add the order Xenos somewhere and your set.

Posted by adam at August 3rd, 2006 at 11:16 am

as a tua ex tau player i cant wait for this new expansion to come out and at first i didnt like the idea of necrons coming out but then i saw all of the movies of them and they do look very interesting. of course im dissaponted that nids didnt come out in this expansin but im mean relic will have a new DOW coming out in about a year with then and we will all have this new game to entertain us untill then

Posted by Quatoria at August 3rd, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Most races still to come are sub divions of the existing ones. Perhaps new characters, like DOW:WA brought in the fire dragon etc. You could add grey knights in addition the libraian etc. Harlequin to equal the vindicaire…

They are running out of truly “unique” races.

A new system of resource has come in – sort of. ORKS need to fight to get their red bonuses for buying troops, to get the Waaaarrrggg!

Easy to figure a base building like a hive cluster (norn queen) slowly generating resources then from that the troops go out and kill. They don’t need to land grab. maybe hold the post and kill those sent to claim it.

Eveyone a winner. I think this franchise (DOW) has legs yet. Eight of ‘em, with big pointy claws at the end. :)

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 3rd, 2006 at 6:33 pm

“Imagine a system of resources based on killing things. Tyranids would be in line with their race then, they kill for the bio matter to increase numbers.”

A novel idea. It might be hard to do at the beginning of games when each side starts off just with a builder unit and maybe one squad of troops. The Nids would have to start with at least three squads of Warriors if they were to have a fighting chance. Maybe there’d be some way to incorporate the Seeder Invasion (or whatever they’re called) so that a Tyranid player could start off with some Genestealers.

Oooh, wouldn’t it be cool to be able to capture other units and build Tyranized versions? Think Infested Terran from SC. >:D

Something else I would look forward to next expansion is the introduction of individualized Legion rules as per the Codexes. For example, the Chaos Alpha Legion would continue to have Bloodthirsters and Khorne Berzerkers because they are loyal to Khorne, but the Death Guard are loyal to Nurgle, the god of decay, and their special units and superunit would be based accordingly – Plague Marines and some kind of incarnation of Nurgle himself, for example. The various Ork tribes use different tactics (Blood Axes, for example, eschew machines in favor of mass hordes of infantry). Eldar tribes have differences, too. Even the Space Marines and IG have differing tactics and bonuses based on specific equipment. Blood Angels, for example, have some kind of Bloodlust frenzy only they can enter.

It would probably be too complex to create a new system like this, but I can dream can’t I? :D

Posted by Quatoria at August 3rd, 2006 at 7:26 pm

Imagine… Nothing is impossible when you compare DOW with something like Oblivion. Or world of warcraft. Far more advanced and intensive games are around. It’s just whether you PC’s can match it. they have to apeal to mass users, but in a year. we will all be on 2 GB ram, 512 MB graphics.

But you get my idea, a spore creep idea like zerg, around the norn queen to grab a stready but small supply and then voila… the idea for other races is the quick kill, just like tyranids, hit them at range and you won’t get overrun with reinforcements made from the trooops that were in the front line.

It just depends on the will, let’s face it the player base and fan base exist. Relic have the skills, look at homeworld 2. :) Relic just need to have the will and that depends on the marketing legs of DOW.

Actually think of homeworld 2, then think of a necron fleet, and then think of an emperor class… Ork Hulk…. Tyranid hive ship…. ahhhh the game play would be fantastic.

Now I would buy that.

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 4th, 2006 at 5:37 am

Are you suggesting a Battlefleet Gothica game?

Good sir, why aren’t you working for Relic?

Posted by Quatoria at August 4th, 2006 at 10:04 am

Now that would be my dream job. I dabble in games design and I see a gap in the market that homeworld 2 still sits alone in. Thinking logically you can make DOW and homeworld 2 combined into a series of games. All within Relic’s design and skill capabilities.

I mean, Hands up who would not buy a homeworld 2 engined, Warhammer gothic battlefleet game. I see similarities between some ships already.

Imagine the Ork Hulk on ramming speed liks a HW cataclysm ramming frigate, Or the eldar doing their holo fields, just like a homeworld 2 cloaking field. The Vagan battlecruiser is an emperor class. Just without the gothic building look.

I digress – Tyranids, the one off baddy all the others have to take on in the final expansion. And each race gains a few extra units (harlequin, ordo xenos, adeptus mechanicus etc) and each army has specialist abilities (blood angel rage, space wolf close in, goff clan morale etc, bad moon weird boyz.)

ahhh… The joy!!

Posted by REAV3R at August 4th, 2006 at 2:43 pm

SWEET!! now jsut one more expansion that has Dark Elder and Tyranids and u have the best computer adaption of the tabletop game ever made!!! Heres to hoping for 1 more expansion after this!

Posted by Mal'caor at August 6th, 2006 at 2:31 pm

“Something else I would look forward to next expansion is the introduction of individualized Legion rules as per the Codexes. For example, the Chaos Alpha Legion would continue to have Bloodthirsters and Khorne Berzerkers because they are loyal to Khorne”
Excuse me but Apha Legion are Chaos Undivided: All the gods

“Blood Axes, for example, eschew machines in favor of mass hordes of infantry”
Blood Axes are supposed to use human-like tatics and aren’t deemed to be like “Proper Orks”

Posted by Mal'caor at August 6th, 2006 at 2:37 pm

“SWEET!! now jsut one more expansion that has Dark Elder and Tyranids and u have the best computer adaption of the tabletop game ever made!!!”
I’m just wondering. Have you ever played Final Liberation because that was bloody brilliant. The Titans were best

Posted by Quatoria at August 6th, 2006 at 5:46 pm

I thought Goffs were human like, blood axes eschewed technology. Still I can’t see why dark eldar appeal myself.

Final liberation rocked but was filled wtih bugs, like you can’t buy chimera’s

Anyone from relic read these threads????

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 7th, 2006 at 7:40 am

“Excuse me but Apha Legion are Chaos Undivided: All the gods”

I didn’t have the codices in front of me so I may have goofed the specifics, but you get my point. Wouldn’t that be cool?

Posted by Hivoyer at August 12th, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Here is a good idea:A new expansion after the dark crusade that includes the tyraninds which everyone loves,cause they’re bugs and everyon elikes maneateng freaky bugs and here’s their resourse system:The new dow features not inly strategyc,critical points and relics,but also the trees,the soil and (some other minerals can actualy be harvested or consumed by the tyranids and put in some kind of acid pool and transformed into requisition points or biological power.Something like that.)Whatever,making these stuff sounds kind of stupid,caus ethat way the unique world best RTS dawn of war will look just like a normal non-original strategy game where the sole purpose is to mine resourses and gram the nearest gold mine.The corpses of dead units only stood there for good looks in winter assault,but i heard that in dark crusade you’ll be able to ressurect from corpses,the tau beasties could actually eat the corpses,so maybe the tyranids could have a resourse like “ork resourse”,but callde “tyranid resourse” or “bio matter” and you get it from eating bodyes ad spitting them out in some sort of huge organic dygestion system in your base to be turned into resourse or here is my best idea(the tyranids only have a queen(no buildings) and they just have to kill and eat and feed the queen and she will upgrade their dna into higher,stronger units,like my favourite carnifex and they won’t have upgrades,they’ll be able to evolve(like the heavy weapon upgrade(heavy bolters)) when they kill enemies,like for instance,you have squad of very weak units.You put your mouse on the upgrade button and it says:Requires 20 kills,so you send out your units,kill 20 marines you press the upgrade button and the tyranids turn into coccoons or something and they come out upgraded>The best part about this idea of mine is that when the enemies slaughter your tyranids,you’ll be able to eat them and regain resourses.(The tyranids won’t have builder units)and if you think the tyranids are too strong than maybe they can make them die,unless they eat,cause imperial guard an marines have mess halls in the barracks,the orks eat rats,the eldar eat some kind of star chkicken with energy rice,but the tyranids’s only source of food is their enemies,so unless they eat,they die.I hink the idea is perfect,but i don’t really think,that someone will listen to me.They’ll probably think of something way better.

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 12th, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Though it was difficult to read that for the lack of spacing, the corpse eating thing might be a good idea. However, to be fair, all the fallen bodies will have to stay put. Computer slowdown, network slowdown…

Another idea based off what you said would be to have the ‘Nids have a few buildings after all; the regular building for production (Queen?) and some kind of “planet-eating” building. It would tie in the harvesting aspect you mentioned without making DoW like all the other RTS games. Just like power, it will produce biomatter over time as it reaps soil from underneath it. Maybe they can tie in the SPs and CL’s into it – the listening posts are bio-drills which leech minerals, etc. from the ground. When you upgrade it, instead of shooting, it tries to consume enemy troops with a mouth from the ground nearby. I guess ‘Nid buildings would slowly heal on their own, too.

I’m not sure about the kills requirement. That would probably unbalance it in favor of the other races. It’s definitely in the spirit of the race, though.

Posted by Hivoyer at August 13th, 2006 at 3:10 am

Excelent idea,DukeRevolution!I’m sure sooner or later we’ll see tyranids in dawn of war.

Posted by Quatoria at August 14th, 2006 at 1:20 pm

See, I told you a Norn resource gatherer was a good idea. :)
“Viva la ‘Nid (re)evolution…..” :)

But to have bodies lingering on screen would slow the network traffic, TSR’s would kill your processor and you would just get bogged down.

I do like the idea of the capture points being living creatures, kind of like Zerg bunker colonies. They could defile the land around them the longer they are held. So the land is discoloured or reshaped, kind of like Giaia in the Age of Mythology titans expansion.

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 14th, 2006 at 11:19 pm

Yeah, they do that now – Chaos buildings make the surrounding areas kinda redish-fiery. It could look a little more barren, a little greyer…

I guess I didn’t know what you meant initially with the Norn resource gatherer. To be perfectly honest, I’ve never played the tabletop game and I really never plan to collect an army (other things to do with hundreds of dollars), so I don’t know everything about the races that I don’t research on my own by reading my friends’ codices. He’s a ‘Nid player, though, so if another expansion came out with them included he would definitely play.

Posted by Hivoyer at August 15th, 2006 at 3:11 am

I think,adding an independent race for the death guard would be cool.I do like the god of decay.

Posted by FireZeMissiles at August 15th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

How about if the tyranids had a unit (rippers?) which harvests the stuff around their buildings (like with tiberium on tiberian sun, except constantly generated by the buildings rather than on the map to start with). They could have one building which generates the stuff faster and in a larger area than most buildings but has no other function. The same theory as power generators.
Perhaps that could be what they build on strategic points?

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 15th, 2006 at 3:49 pm

Well, the problem with that is that it takes the DoW series to the realm that Relic was trying to avoid: that of resource management. Part of what makes games like DoW and Ground Control II is the lack of harvesting which can be tedious and time consuming. It wouldn’t make sense to use requisition for the Tyranids because requisition implies that your bosses are pleased with the progress (lots of territory captured) and will send more troops to help you. Tyranids wouldn’t care about progress – they have so many billions of troops that it wouldn’t matter. That’s why a biomatter system would work best.

But then again, maybe we’ll see the Tyranids in a game OTHER than Dawn of War. Don’t forget that Relic can start a whole new series!

Posted by Quatoria at August 15th, 2006 at 6:09 pm

I like the idea of little scuttling things gathering in a limited area around a strategic point.

But I am wary of another game coming from it, you would lose all that has been done and you split the player base then, making it less fun. I thinking adding mods and styles as you go to an existing platform..

Posted by adam at August 15th, 2006 at 11:14 pm

i say u just have digesting pools to act as plasma and to have listining post be liek the ones dukerevolution said

Posted by Hivoyer at August 16th, 2006 at 3:46 am

I hope relic never makes dawn of war 2,cause it’s perfect the way it is,and dawn of war 2 would have too big system requirements(2048 RAM,5.7 Ghz processor),or something like that.The best idea is that they just keep adding new races,without changing anything else.

Posted by FireZeMissiles at August 16th, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Yeah, i guess your right. I just like the image of tiny creatures slowly digesting things for their own benefit.

Posted by Tajora at August 17th, 2006 at 5:22 am

will they still have the Imperial Gaurds in the Dark Crusade??
cause i wanna blast all the Necrons and the Tau with artillery :D

Posted by FireZeMissiles at August 18th, 2006 at 6:19 am

I just got White Dwarf (the warhammer magazine) and its got an article about Dark Crusade in it. It says you can play as the Imperial Guard all the way through, along with everyone else, which is good for those of us that don’t have Winter Assault, like me. (on Amazon it costs more to buy WA than to pre-order Dark Crusade!).
Also confirmed by this article is the map-based campaign, upgradeable heroes, alternative Necron management system and that the Necrons do get Paraiahs.

Posted by poopoo at August 19th, 2006 at 1:17 am

i…can…not… READ ANY MORE…DAMNIT!!!

Posted by street_rider69er at August 19th, 2006 at 2:47 am

this game will kick @$$ oooo and there is gonna be new units space – grey knights imps – heavy weapons forces orks – flash gitz Chaos – Daemon Prince Eldar – Harlequins plue the two new races (tau + necrons) and the system works like this if you got just dark crusade (which is a standalone product) you get tau and necrons but if you got the original and dark crusade you get the last four races and the two new one but if you have all three you can use all seven but you carnt play as the imps if you dont have wa and you carnt play as the other four if you dont have dow (in campain or in scimish) no problem for me i got both and getting dc as soon as its out and then new campain is a whole new experince where you take there stronghold for a win

Posted by Hivoyer at August 19th, 2006 at 4:16 am

In dark crsade the Eldar aren’t going to be so unique with their “mobile base”,caus ethe necrons would be able to move their monolith too,once they activated it.I really wanna see tyranids in dwan of war sooner or later.

Posted by Quatoria at August 19th, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Good on eldar having someone else that can move their base. that will make it interesting.

Street rider, how certain are you of new units? I want halequins….. (you can tell my favorite army)

Who in reality won’t have all seven races… LOL

Posted by street_rider69er at August 19th, 2006 at 9:29 pm

here if you want my source go to they have them in polls and a movie of the grey knights http://dawnofwar.filefront.com/ and go to the lastest new on the right hand side they have all the 9 vides to dl and go to game spot to watch and they have the news that comfirmed about the units

Posted by street_rider69er at August 19th, 2006 at 9:37 pm

and also i guess this may not be true but i think they will include the nids in campain like they did with the necrons but i think nids will kick @$$ cause i play them on tabletop and they will eat every1 else alive (as soon as they get close) but will be great with caputring they cp cause there so fast

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 20th, 2006 at 2:38 pm

Thank the lord for Imp Heavy Weapons teams – I was getting tired of having to rely on those paper-skinned Sentinals for my only source of armor penetration until Leman Russ’ got into play. Also I was getting my arse folded in half.

Posted by Quatoria at August 21st, 2006 at 6:43 pm

I thought i was the only one…imps are all tanks and artillery, the leman russ should be a lot easier to get as without it the entire imp army is pants. Manticore, bomdbard, basilisk, capitol imperialis, conqueror, demolisher, etc etc and what do we get. The sentinal…. Nice.

Posted by DukeRevolution at August 21st, 2006 at 11:46 pm

Hehe.

There have been times – RARE times indeed – when I was able to destroy two Chaos tanks with only four squads of guardsmen and one Sentinel in the back. Clever use of heavy cover and of course a very useful Commissar’s field executions saved the day. I even ended up winning somehow despite the fact that my opponent held 3/4 of the map and churned out tanks faster than I could. Kasrkin squads in the flanks + Guardsmen and Russes distracting in front = win.

Still, I can’t always find deep craters to fight off those blasted tanks, and Sentinels just can’t stand up to them without a thick meat shield in front.

What kind of AP technology will the new races have? Do we even know yet? I’m picturing the Necrons being good at everything, but some units’ AP would have to be better than others, right? From what I’ve seen in the movies, the Tau have some Kroot guy with a big cannon on the back of some creature (I know practically zero Tau fluff, sorry).

Posted by Radish at August 23rd, 2006 at 8:48 am

Thats the Krootox, with the Kroot gun. Its nothing that would be used against tanks on tt, shame so many things get messed around with. Sentinels are meant to be vulnerable, so using a meatshield improves their survivability. It is a strategy game afterall.

Necrons will probably have destroyers to deal with tanks, and tau got the awesome railgun (big ouch). This game should be great! :D need more movies of it!

Post a new comment

Comment Notes:

Please read the comment policy for an overview of our commenting policy. Relicnews reserves the right to edit or delete any comment without warning.

Relicnews uses Textile for comment formatting. Line breaks and paragraphs are formatted automatically, and URLs will be transformed into links automatically – HTML is not active, so any HTML tags you use will be stripped out and ignored.